The wellbeing of our guests and employees are our highest priority. To assure safety for all during this unprecedented time, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily close Canterbury Retreat & Conference Center through the end of April 2020.
Canterbury has always been a welcoming place where our guests can disconnect from the world and recharge. However, we feel a responsibility to do all we can to curtail the spread of coronavirus by following the advice of government and healthcare officials. We are confident that additional information will come to light in the coming weeks. We will monitor the situation closely and re-open as soon as possible.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have or re-schedule your stay for a future date. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to Canterbury. Be well.
Check below for resources:
Florida Health – 2019 Novel Coronavirus Response (COVID-19)
Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association: Click HERE for COVID-19 updates
(A must-read for everybody) From Johns Hopkins Hospital;
This virus is not a living organism. It is a protein molecule (RNA or DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular (eyes), nasal (nose) or buccal mucosa (mouth), changes their genetic code (mutates) and converts into aggressor and multiplier cells.
- Since the virus is not a living organism, but is a protein molecule, it cannot be killed. It has to decay on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat and that is the reason why soap or detergent is the best weapon. The foam CUTS THE FAT (that is why you have to scrub for 20 seconds or more, to create lots of foam).
By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down.
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is necessary to use water above 77 degrees for hand washing, laundry and cleaning surfaces. In addition, hot water makes more foam, making it more effective.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ALL FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
- Any solution with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaking it down from the inside.
- Oxygenated water increases the effectiveness of soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein. However, because you have to use it in its pure form, it can damage your skin.
- NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC WILL WORK because the virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.
- The virus molecules remain very stable at colder temperatures, including air conditioning in houses and cars. They also need moisture and darkness to stay stable. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade the virus faster.
- UV LIGHT on any object that may contain the virus breaks down the protein. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is only 40% alcohol, and you need a min of 65%.
- LISTERINE is 65% alcohol.
- The more confined the space, the higher the concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
- You have to wash your hands before and after touching any commonly used surfaces such as : mucosa (mouth area), food, locks, knobs, switches, remotes, cell phones, watches, computers, desks etc. and don’t forget when you use the bathroom.
- You have to MOISTURIZE YOUR HANDS due to frequent washing. Dry hands have cracks and the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.
- Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.